Last updated on September 20, 2021
The city arose in the middle XVII century at the confluence of the river. Saksagani and Ingulets, where a long cape or "horn" was formed. The date of foundation is considered to be 1775 when a postal tract station was opened in the Kryvyi Rih tract. At first, it was a military settlement, then, with the development of iron ore mining, it turned into an industrial center, the impetus for which was the construction of the Catherine railway in 1884. Now the actual center of the city is "Quarter 95" (the area of Gorky Square), where the City Council, most of the offices, shopping malls, nightclubs, cafes, and restaurants are located. The landscape reserve "Northern Chervona Balka", the rocks of the MOPR, and a botanical garden are located within the city. A special feature of the transport system is the metro tram - an 18-kilometer semi-underground tram line, of which 11 stations are underground.